Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Why Freelance?


That is the question people ask me when I tell them that I work as a full-time freelance writer.  Some of them do with a touch of interest and intrigue in their voices.  Others are rather skeptical, especially when it comes to the part that I do most of my freelance work online.


What many do not realize is that freelance jobs have been around for some time.  It was only in the recent years that more and more people have become interested in it.  This noticeable spike in the number of people becoming freelancers is brought about by two factors.  The first is the recent financial crisis that impacted countries all over the world.  Many companies have opted to outsource various business activities to qualified individuals on a contractual basis in order to minimize their expenses while still remaining competitive.


Another factor is the Internet.  Its ability to allow people literally opposite ends of the world to communicate on a real-time basis, combined with advancements in technology has now made it possible for the expansion of available markets and job opportunities for freelancers.  The Internet has also made it possible for freelancers to promote themselves, and their services, to a wider audience to increase their chances of closing a contract with a potential client at very minimal cost.


So back to the question about why I decided to do this on a full-time basis, my answer was why not?


There are so many benefits that I was able to enjoy as a freelance writer that I never did as a regular employee.  One such benefit is that I am actually paid what I am worth.  The salary companies pay their employees is based on an average salary range according to the position held by the employee.  This provides very little room for a highly competent professional to negotiate for a salary fitting for his or her credentials.  As a freelance writer, my clients pay me based on my experience and the level of difficulty of the project being offered, so I am well-compensated.


Another benefit I enjoy now that I am a freelance writer is that I am able to work at my own time schedule, and I get to choose where I work.  No longer do I have to drag myself to the same cubicle every single day just to work.  I can just simply begin working when I wake up.  If I want a change of environment, I can just simply take my laptop to my favorite coffee shop, hook up to their wireless Internet connection that they provide to their customers, and resume working.


In line with this, freelancers are in more control of their schedules.  There is no longer the need to hope and pray that a requested leave would get approved.  I can choose to either take my work with me, or I simply advice my clients that I will be gone for a few days.  This gave me more time to spend with my family, and pursue other interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment